Search This Blog
Friday, 11 February 2011
Lions and photographers
This is the lion called Peace, one of four outside the Victoria Hall in Saltaire. (For more info about the lions and pictures of all four, click here.) The photo would be improved by using a camera that would blur the background a bit, but mine (not a DSLR) doesn't, apart from in very specific lighting conditions. However, I'm using it to illustrate an interesting little story....
I was coming home from work last Tuesday evening, and the daylight was beginning to fade. As I walked up Victoria Road, I kept seeing flashes of light, and as I got nearer I realised it was a photographer taking pictures of one of the stone lions. Not just any old photographer... you could tell this one was a Pro, kitted out with a stepladder and two assistants, one holding aloft an umbrella reflector. I was mildly interested - but, living in a World Heritage Site, you do get used to seeing folks with big cameras. Frankly, I was tired and in a grumpy mood as well (!) so, although I vaguely considered going and having a closer look and maybe even chatting to and photographing the photographer, I decided that - all things considered - I couldn't be bothered.
I was interested to see, the very next day, via Google Alerts for Saltaire, a whole new set of 31 photos of Saltaire on the Web (including, of course, the lion - War). The photographer was Christopher Furlong, Senior Staff Photographer, Getty Images Europe. It is always interesting to me to see other photographers' interpretations of Saltaire: what catches their eye, how they view the scene, how they tell the story of the village. There are some evocative photos within this set. Have a look and tell me what you think....
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment