Search This Blog

Wednesday, 12 May 2010

Bluebells

You can see the faintest tinge of blue on this photograph of Hirst Woods, Saltaire, taken from the side of the Leeds-Liverpool canal. We are right in the middle of bluebell time here, and I think the haze of bluebells in a spring woodland is one of the prettiest sights there is. But you have to know where to go for the best pictures and you have to find a day with the right lighting - too sunny and it doesn't work, too dull and it doesn't really work either. The bluebells in Hirst Woods don't form a really thick carpet - Middleton Woods in Ilkley is generally a better bet for photos, but I haven't had chance to venture over there yet this year. Nevertheless, Hirst Woods, just on the edge of Saltaire, is my local patch of ancient woodland and I am fond of it. For a photo of the woods at the other end of the year, click this link.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...