Phew, it's been the hottest weekend of the year so far, with temperatures around 27°C. (OK, I know that's cool compared with the temperatures that some are acclimatised to - but the whole point is I'm NOT acclimatised! I haven't even had my sandals on yet this year!)The sunshine happened to coincide with the grand opening of the restored Roberts Park in Saltaire on Saturday, providing a grand day out for hundreds of people. Most visitors were local - I bumped into lots of my friends and at least half of my church congregation! Many people took picnics and the newly refurbished Half Moon Café was thronged and doing a roaring trade in drinks, ice creams and BBQ food - well done Wendy and Hazel!
The official opening was performed by the Lord Mayor of Bradford, Councillor John D Godward. Afterwards The Hammonds Saltaire Band (see my blog of 28 December) christened the new bandstand, which replaces the original Victorian one that was demolished long ago. They played a specially commissioned fanfare, composed and conducted by Bradford composer Jonathan Brigg, before moving on to a lively selection of more traditional brass band pieces. (Oh, I do love a bit of brass band music!)
No comments:
Post a Comment