Search This Blog

Saturday, 3 April 2010

Christ the King

This seemed like a good image to use on Easter Sunday. I wish you all a very happy Easter, full of joy and blessings. Christ is risen!

It's a detail of the large East Window of St. Peter's Church, Shipley, showing the risen Christ in his splendour. I do like it ...even though it depicts a very white Anglo-Saxon Christ and even though I'm always inappropriately amused by thinking that his halo looks like a lifebelt. Though, come to think of it, perhaps that's relevant symbolism.

I shall be attending church this evening to participate in a good Easter tradition - I'm not really sure how it started, but we always sing the Hallelujah Chorus (from Handel's Messiah) at the Easter Sunday evening service. We do have a choir, which is boosted for the occasion by some other skilled singers from among the congregation. But everyone joins in - even those of us that can't read music and haven't much of a voice. And, perhaps surprisingly, it always sounds amazing and makes the hairs on the back of my neck stand up.. (Only rivalled as a musical experience by the trumpeter who plays The Last Post on Remembrance Sunday.)

For more information about the church and its windows, please see my posts of
22, 23 & 24 February.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...