Search This Blog

Thursday, 28 January 2010

Litter bugs me



When we lived in the beautiful Georgian New Town of Edinburgh, (in the centre house of the double crescent pictured in the lower picture), my daily routine, come rain or shine was to walk to the local newsagent to buy the paper, before returning to eat breakfast, and begin the day's activities. This was partly to enjoy the pretty surroundings of the architecture, our enormous communal gardens, and a way of defying the weather, when it was being particularly tiresome.

The one feature that disheartened me was encountering litter in these beautiful streets, so I began the habit of carrying a plastic bag, and a disposable cellophane glove, (supplied by the local petrol station), and picking up the detritus, and depositing it in the one and only bin on my route, (near to the newsagents).

One day I encountered a neighbour who remarked that he thought it was an excellent idea, and he wished more people would do the same. It seemed an odd remark as I was just in the process of picking up something from the pavement outside of his house; I wondered why he didn't think it was something he could do himself.

Clearly some people think these things are beneath them, and clearly some, whether they are a prince, do not. We all have our bit to play, and when there is such beauty around us, surely we can help maintain it.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...