This powerful picture by Albert Herter (American, 1871-1950) of Mohamed Ben Hadge Abdeslam Djedidi/A Tunisian Portrait, c. 1925, oil on canvas, 45 1/2 x 26 in. (115.6 x 66.0 cm) sold yesterday at auction by Skinner of Massachusetts for USD20,000. It's opening bid price was a mere USD400 and it was estimated to achieve USD800-1,200. Although I placed a bid substantially over the estimate, what it has achieved is remarkable, and probably quite realistic. I was attracted to other works by Herter, and my research led me to believe that there was some likelihood that the price might run away. It certainly did.
Search This Blog
Saturday, 12 September 2009
Show of strength
This powerful picture by Albert Herter (American, 1871-1950) of Mohamed Ben Hadge Abdeslam Djedidi/A Tunisian Portrait, c. 1925, oil on canvas, 45 1/2 x 26 in. (115.6 x 66.0 cm) sold yesterday at auction by Skinner of Massachusetts for USD20,000. It's opening bid price was a mere USD400 and it was estimated to achieve USD800-1,200. Although I placed a bid substantially over the estimate, what it has achieved is remarkable, and probably quite realistic. I was attracted to other works by Herter, and my research led me to believe that there was some likelihood that the price might run away. It certainly did.
Labels:
1920s,
Albert Herter
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment