Search This Blog

Sunday, 1 March 2009

Taking the biscuit




On a recent trip to the Saatchi Gallery in London during its "The Revolution Continues", the exhibition included this installation, entitled Love It! Bite It!, a model city of Western culture's "tastiest bits," including the Colosseum, The US Capitol and the Guggenheim Museum in New York, built from dog chews, by Liu Wei. "The piece obliquely hints at the fragility of our civilization in the aftermath of 9/11," the Daily Telegraph's art critic commented.

I'm never a big fan of the so-called installation art, because I'm never quite sure what you're supposed to do with it, and clearly it's only ever meant for gallery display, as it would look a bit daft in your drawing room, even if you had one large enough to display such a confection.

However, I do admire the work that has gone into this exhibit, even if it's only because of its somewhat bizarre nature. Well, maybe that just sums up installation art for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...