Search This Blog

Monday, 16 February 2009

Decorative Art

I think I've quite often expressed a lack of enthusiasm for Art Deco furniture, but great approval for some objets that were created in that era. These tan armchairs can best demonstrate my argument for the lukewarm. But of course there are variations on a theme, and the black leather with wooden arms are particularly elegant.



As is this Swedish birch table, (above). The black leather "moustache" chairs below, again find less favour, but they are marginally more acceptable than those in the first picture.


I suppose the lesson for me is not to generalise. But as with any period style, it's best to avoid creating a set piece from the same period, as though it was a museum. I think it's important to blend effectively, and that's surely what the best designers achieve.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...