


Perhaps the most famous of Sir Edwin Landseer's work is "The Monarch of the Glen" (top). Obviously he succumbed to the idealism of the age too, with a lesser known work, "Saved" (middle).
I was interested to see the bottom picture for sale at auction over the weekend, estimated to achieve USD400-800, and securing USD2,250. I had toyed with the idea of bidding, less for the subject matter, but more for the name, but I felt the execution was a little poor, and the activity less than attractive.
Landseer (1802-73) was well known for his paintings of dogs, horses and stags, and was a favoured artist of Queen Victoria, who commissioned him several times for pictures of the family, and for pictures of her pets.
Landseer also sculpted the lions at the base of Nelson's Column in Trafalgar Square, and the great architect and furniture designer Sir Edwin (Landseer) Lutyens was named after him, as Lutyens senior and Landseer were friends.
No comments:
Post a Comment