Search This Blog

Monday, 11 August 2008

A true classicist

This is the work of David Easton, a true classicist.

"This loft differs greatly from my earlier apartment....I have travelled in another direction with this space to create a less decorated look. Although I wanted to make the loft classical in concept, I also wanted to keep it simple...."

When he talks about simple, modern furniture, most of what he is referring to is furniture that he designed himself, such as the double desk and the bench seating....the entire apartment is an interesting combination of the very grand and the very simple.

This neoclassical nude after Nicola Abildgaard is flanked by bookcases. The introduction of red in the filing trays is wonderfully offset by the ochre hues of the walls, and the brushed gold patina of the desk lamps. The Empire chairs fit perfectly with the modern desks.

This constant cross referencing of modern with neoclassical works so well, and this is a great example of it doing so.

Also, I think a dramatic and large picture such as this one really "make" a room, and both that and presenting art correctly, (grandly, in my view) totally enhance any scheme.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...