Search This Blog

Monday, 23 June 2008

Salts


These are two variations of salts I use for the dinner table. The top pair are made by William Yeoward, and the bottom quartet are George III silver. With the latter, two can double as mustard pots. Obviously the glass pieces don't require liners, and with the silver ones you have to remember to remove the salt after usage. You can imagine which ones get used more.

As much as anything these are decorative, as I hope my tasting skills don't require guests to add salt to the food that I serve. I even know some fanatical cooks who refuse to put salt and pepper out, in the belief that they have administered the correct level. But there is no accounting for taste; and you can take that anyway you want.

Did you know that salt is the only rock eaten by humans? Before the availability of artificial refrigeration, salt was used to preserve food, especially meat. Not surprisingly it is believed that the Chinese were the first to harvest salt as far back as 6000 BC, in Shanxi Province.

Now, with this information, I know your Monday is complete.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...