Search This Blog

Sunday 28 February 2010

Black & White


This image, from Uniquely Singapore shows a black and white house, many of which still exist in Singapore, and which are a legacy of the British colonial empire in Singapore and Malaysia. I wrote recently about one such house here, and another is featured in the New York Times piece here, and from which the following picture is taken:


What is obvious in the house featured in the NYT article, even if the decoration doesn't overwhelm you, is the spaciousness, and the obvious grandeur of the Twenties' architecture.


Singapore was my birthplace, and here is a photo of me being wheeled around the garden - rather unkempt by the look of it - by my "black and white" amah, a fiesty woman who joined our staff when I was born. By all accounts, she protected me like her own, (although she never had any children, in observance of the tradition of celibacy).

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...